Perhaps not the easiest of recipes to make while a one-year old tugs at your apron strings, literally, but worth the hassle for sure.
It is fresh, light and delicious. Perfect for summer.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp.
lemon zest from one large lemon, or 2 tsp.
generous 3/4 cup sugar, and 1 tbsp. to sprinkle on top of cake
1 egg at room temp.
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups of flour- set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with blueberries
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
*to make homemade buttermilk, you simply squeeze some juice from 1/2 of the lemon you just zested into a cup. Add 1/2 cup of milk to the lemon juice and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes before adding to batter.
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cream butter, lemon zest and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
2. Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup flour and set aside. Get your buttermilk going now if you intend on making it yourself.
3. Whisk together with flour, baking powder and salt. Grease a 9-inch baking dish with butter or coat with non-stick spray.
4. Add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk a little at a time to the batter. Alternating between the dry ingredients and the buttermilk.
5. Fold in blueberries and add to dish. Bake for 35-45 minutes. My oven is closer to 45 minutes.
I should note that if you add a full cup of buttermilk you get more of breakfast tart. I tried it out last time I made it and I like that variation of the recipe as well.